Friday, August 14, 2009

Welcome to your new home...

I mentioned on Wednesday that I'm hoping to find a local source for my fall transplants. I stopped in at a small garden center in Alexandria VA yesterday on my way home from work and as I was wandering around looking at the plants, I found the vegetable table that was covered not with the broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts that I was looking for, but with 30 or 40 peaked looking pepper plants that I guess never sold this spring. The owner (?) walked by, saw me looking, and said, "If you want any of those they're free", so I brought a couple home and repotted them. They looked like they would have been healthy and fine if they weren't so unbelievably root-bound. I actually had to cut the pots off, leaving some of the black plastic on the very bottom so as not to damage any of the roots that had grown out of it. It's two tabasco plants on the left, and one habenaro on the right. Maybe we'll get a few peppers out of them. I may go back on Monday and grab a few more!!!! She did say she was expecting to have the fall transplants next week....



With fall in mind, I moved my serrano pepper up out of the garden, where it was getting buried in weeds, and up into a pot. I am hoping I might be able to keep this alive for awhile in the house once the weather turns. It has developed some white spots on the leaves (before I moved it). Not powdery...It looks like sunburn, like my un-hardened off zucchini and cucumbers did earlier this year. I've been doing some web surfing trying to see what's up. It might be sunburn...we had a few really hot days here (101 degrees) much hotter than we usually get, so maybe that's it. I'll keep an eye on it.


And here's the eggplant this morning, getting really big! compare this picture to less than 48 hours ago in my last post. They grow so fast!!!!

1 comment: