Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Checking in.....

The eggplants are getting big - I swear once these things get going they seem to grow 1/2 inch or more a day. You can almost see them growing!

I made and processed 5 pints of salsa last night with tomatoes and peppers from the garden. This weekend I hope to try a recipe for green tomato pepper relish that I've been hanging onto. All my peppers will be ripe red and perfect at the same time - at least a dozen, maybe more, so I'm going to have to do something with them quick as I doubt we can eat them fast enough.

I planted some seed this week - red and gold beets, daikon, turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, carrots, spinach, kale, chard, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. I suspect I'm getting a late start. It's also been topping at about 101 degrees in the afternoons here lately, probably not ideal germination temperature for most of these things. I have been trying to keep the soil a little moist so they don't all fry out there. I'll see what's up a week or so from now and try again if I have to. I am also going to look into some transplants. I would like to find some at local small garden stores if possible, if not I'll order some. Particularly broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower. I'm pretty sure that I can get everything else to come up from seed, as I have done almost all of this stuff from seed before. Last fall the chard came up from seed just fine. I want to concentrate mostly on compost and straw, in hopes that my fall garden won't turn into the jungle that my spring/summer garden is now. It ain't pretty, but what the heck. It feeds me.

To the left here is a shot of today's garden beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment