Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere...

You know what I really hate? I hate it when my husband gives me advice and I ignore it, and he repeats the advice and I ignore it, and then he reminds me good-naturedly and I still ignore it…and then he turns out to be right.

I really hate that.

All of which is to say, at least one of my tomato plants is dead dead dead and I suspect that it’s my fault.

Sigh.

The advice I refer to is the perfectly serviceable water meter that he gave me, so that I could check and make sure that the plants in the garden were getting enough water. And did I use it? Um…well…not really. And come to think of it, it hasn’t been raining here much. And it’s not like I don’t have a hose. And a sprinkler. And a soaker hose. And buckets and pitchers and bottles and coffee cups…I mean, if I had known the poor thing was drying out so badly I could have gotten water out there some way. I could have done something about it and now it’s too late. But no, I was too busy canning tomatoes like they were just going to keep on coming.

Shame on me.

So yesterday morning I went out with the hose and the bag of tomato tone and I gave the still living (but possibly also on their way out) plants a few spoonfuls and a good, luxurious soak. We’ll see.

But that’s only part of our ongoing water saga.

I mentioned that I had started some broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kale seedlings in the house a few months ago, and after popping up quickly and looking initially quite happy, they all shriveled up and died. I didn’t understand this, because I had them under the grow light, and I used a really good, clean seed-starting medium, and I made sure the soil stayed moist, and they still seemed to be drying up.

Well, check out what I learned yesterday.

I also said a post or so back that I was looking for a local source for my fall transplants, and the perfect place finally came to me. There’s a nursery not too far from me where my husband and I used to buy saltwater fish back when we kept tanks. I never really bought plants from them, but I remember from our trips there to get fish that they were a pretty knowledgeable and committed group of people there, so I thought I’d check them out. And I found BEAUTIFUL transplants. I got broccoli, Brussels sprouts, red chard, kale, collard greens, cabbage and lettuce. I got a whole flat in fact, 48 individual plants, for twenty bucks. You can’t beat that. And that’s not even the best part.

I was commenting to the man who helped me that they were really beautiful little plants, and he said thanks, that he had raised them himself. I told him about my seedlings that didn’t make it, and then he imparted his secret. “You have to mist them,” he said.

Aha!

This makes sense to me, since, as I said, I kept watering them, and the leaves still shriveled up and dried out.

So now I know. Mist them. I’ll do better when I try again to start them for next spring. So yesterday when I was at Lowes for manure compost I bought a mister.

Who says I can’t be taught?





3 comments:

  1. What's your source in Alexandria? I'm in Annandale. Aren't you excited for your fall plants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for the fall plants! You know, the fall garden seems more diverse to me than the spring garden. Though I'm realizing now that most of what I plant in fall can also be planted in early spring...

    The nursery I went by last week in Alexandria was called Greenspace, I think, on Rt. 1 a little south of Hybla Valley. She seemed to have a LOT of stuff left over from spring planting that was suffering in the heat, and I got the idea there hadn't been a lot of plant turnover but that may not be true. But that's not where I got the transplants. I got those at Roozen's Nursery on Allentown Road, I'm not sure what town they're technically in. They're somewhere between Indian Head Highway and Andrew's Air Force Base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, just got my plants from TG today! Hoping the humidity takes a break this weekend so I can get in the garden and pull out the cucs and spread manure.

    ReplyDelete