Sunday, July 12, 2009

This time with photos

Well, I had to pull this up today. It DOES have borers. The stem is turning to mush.


The bush baby zucchini though does not seem to have that problem. The part dying off is closest to the stem, and it seems to be vining out through the garden. All the new, dark green leaves are at the end, and it's still putting out fruit. We'll see what happens.

Here's my first yellow crookneck. I'm having this for dinner tonight.


Yesterday I made my first ever pickles! Refridgerator version. I'm definitely going to make more. We tried them tonight and they were quite tasty. I've also been picking the cuckes much smaller in anticipation of making more pickles. I specifically got pickling cucumbers. I need to get some jars so I can make some to can for longer storage.


Here's a basket from a few days ago...


The melon patch is going nuts. I'm still waiting for that first ripe canteloupe. I have canteloupe (muskmelon) and "Old Melon" which has white flesh. I can't wait!

And the final bit of news....I'm getting geared up for fall. At the moment I'm planning to do everything from seed. Here are my first babies - broccoli (on either side) and red kale (in the flat of 6 in the middle). Though I was reading today that I could just direct sow the kale...I bought transplants last year so I figured that's what I'd do. I got serious with the potting medium this time, 9 parts peat moss and 1 part perlite - more or less. The packets say 10 - 20 days till the seedlings emerge but it took about 24 - 36 hours. Unbelievable. And since I used a clean potting medium this time and not dirt from my back yard I'm pretty sure it's actually the seeds that I planted coming up, and not just weeds (ha ha)!
Things went well enough this spring that I have high hopes for them....







1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your zucchini. I had to pull up my squash and zucchini on Saturday, they were full of powdery mildew and all the blooms were rotting. I didn't want it to spread to the tomatoes. I got a lot from them so I wasn't too upset but still, I hate pulling out live plants even if they are on their way out.

    ReplyDelete