Sunday, July 26, 2009

And finally...FALL

Sorry for all the catch-up posts at one time.

As I've mentioned, I'm thinking about fall. We borrowed a tiller, and this past week my husband set to work tilling us up a new plot for fall, the same size as the one we're currently using for spring. Eventually I want to rotate them, using one for spring, one for fall, and leaving one fallow or planting a cover crop on it. He got the whole thing tilled up, and the grass is actually dying in the heat, which means his tiller did a better job than my months of shovel work. (Go figure). He's going to till all that dead grass under again so he can get deeper. This coming weekend I'll fence it all in and bring home bags of compost manure and then he'll till that in. At that point, I'll be gearing up to plant. Mostly root veggies, as well as chard, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, kale, cauliflower. I want to concentrate on really producing some carrots this time, which I have not gotten to grow successfully yet. I'm still tweaking my garden plan...




No comments:

Post a Comment