Monday, July 27, 2009

OH MY GOSH....I grew a sweet potato!

So, I was outside, sweating profusely, covering the garden with plastic because it's bug spray day... and I happened to notice that there are furrows developing in one of my sweet potato mounds.




On closer examination I realized that I could see a sweet potato!


There were 2 showing. One of them is below. I don't think that the neck is supposed to curve like that, but heck, I'm guessing a probably have a million sweet potatoes out there...I went back to my garden planning notebook and realized that I planted the slips on 17 April, which means that they have been in the ground about 100 days or so...WOW.


Tomorrow I will have to inspect all my sweet potato mounds and pull out any that are showing above ground. My research indicates that I will then leave them in a basket to dry or "cure" for about 10 days, and I should be able to store them.


2 comments:

  1. That's fabulous! I want to try potatoes next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Yum. I can think of all the possibilities! Lucky, lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete