Saturday, July 11, 2009

Feeling a little discouraged this evening...

Well, that yellow tomato plant I showed you a picture of yesterday today has an entire dead limb on it. Yesterday, it was only the suckers (?) the small limbs that had no flowers or fruit on them that were dying and dropping off. I pulled a bunch of ripening tomatoes off of there today.

I'm also worried about my zucchinis. I took some photos but my husband has made off with the camera this evening so I can't post them. They're yellowing wilting - the EXACT same thing that happened to me last year at the exact same time of year. Much web research this evening suggests that zucs affected by vine borers tend to die in mid July. But I don't see any evidence that that's the problem. The stems seem sturdy, intact, and fine. I still have a lot of green leaves, and a lot of new growth leaves that are a rich dark green. Also, the bush baby zucchini seems to be making it's way across the garden, and it's the older leaves that are yellowing and falling off as the part producing fruit has moved up the new plant...Promise photos later. Tomorrow I hope.

Tonight I fed the carmen, anaheim and yellow bell plants with the tomato tone. They're just bursting with huge green peppers, all of them, that just don't seem to get ripe. The bigger the peppers are the more likely they are to get ripe so slowly that the walls start getting thin on them. I haven't had good luck with the bigger peppers, though the serranos and jalepenos are growing like gangbusters...

On the bright side, I made my first batch of refridgerator pickles today. I'm excited. I need to get myself some canning jars and lids and take the plunge with the canning. This week! I should have plenty of ripe tomatoes by the end of this week. My melons are coming along nicely. I'm still picking beans. I'm also still hoping for a big potato and sweet potato harvest.....

I'm planning for fall. I've sprouted some broccoli seeds and kale seeds over the past few days and I have them under the grow light, hoping for a dozen or so robust transplants for Sept. I think I'll do the cauliflower next...

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, you sound so sad. I'm sorry. Can you call an Extension agent in your area and ask a few questions. I took a Master Gardener class here and it was so helpful with specifics to our area. One thing I have had great success with is using liquid fish emulsion for fertilizer along with compost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! I have heard about these Master Gardener classes and that definitely interests me. I'll have to look into it. I think they do that not too far from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have heard of so many folks losing squashes to vine borers this year here in the southeast. All that rain in May must have made them prolific. Don't feel bad but next year you might consider using some type of row cover to protect the plants from the moths that lay the eggs. Read more here: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef314.asp

    Good luck with your fall vegetables!

    ReplyDelete