Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A few things...

Well, my container garden plans really haven't worked out so well. Neither zucchini, nor squash, nor cucumber seem suited to containers and I've had to pull them all up and throw them out. My one Bush Tomato is looking pretty peaked too; the same variety in the Topsy Turvey isn't making it either. I do have three carrots coming up in a pot. And my two transplanted eggplants are doing nicely, though they're still little. Maybe I can bring them inside in the fall and have eggplant for Christmas.



Most of my tomato plants are lush and huge, but not with huge amounts of fruit.


This little bugger, on the other hand, is FULL of fruit, and looks low and stunted. I haven't done anything to it (no sucker pinching, etc.) but it certainly is putting all its efforts into developing fruit and not into developing foliage. I guess that's good?


Here's what I collected Monday...


And here's Tuesday. The greenish looking tomato on the left is one of those big pear-shaped ones. It's actually quite large, and the bottom of this one is yellow, though you can't see it in the picture. Stealing shamefully from someone else's blog I decided to line these up on a window-sill in the kitchen to ripen, as it looked so cheerful.
The marigold's are my daughter's contribution to the harvest. She loves to pick them, and as we have TONS I don't mind. She's discovered all sorts of neat insects and her fear of bees has become a fascination. We like to watch them together, and talk about what they're doing. One of her favorite movies is Bees. It's cute, and a good learning tool for talking about what goes on in the garden. I bring the marigolds in and float them in a crystal bowl of water for a centerpiece. It looks nice, and they last for a week or so...






2 comments:

  1. Is that a beefsteak in the basket that has more color than the others? It's so pretty. My big tomatoes haven't started changing color yet but you seem to be about a week or two ahead of me so hopefully soon. I read some where that lots of foliage and little fruit is a sign of an imbalance in the soil. I looked real quick and it said if you have lots of Nitrogen and not enough Phosphorus you have lots of leaves and not a lot of flowers (fruit). Try some bone meal. I like Espoma products. The book I am referring to is "You Bet Your Tomatoes" by Mike McGrath. I think you could find it on Amazon. It has been invaluable to me next to the folks at Tasteful Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a beefsteak. It's one of the heirloom tomato transplants I got from the tasteful garden. And it was delicious! They're really going great. Thanks for the info about the nutrients. I actually discovered today that I have bone meal. I was thinking of this comment when I discovered it in the shed today, but I couldn't remember what I'd recently heard I should use it for. I think it was also recommended to me for the tomato plants with the blossom end rot, but I chose the "do nothing" route, as we did have a really rainy spring, and sure enough the problem disappeared. I'm wondering if it's not the opposite problem with the zucchinni, yellowing leaves from not enough nitrogen...

    ReplyDelete