Sunday, July 26, 2009

Holy Tomatoes!

Well, the heirloom tomatoes are really popping now, and starting to earn thier keep! So we've gone into preservation mode around here, learning as we go, and exercising that hot water canner!


A local area food program that I participate in here in Southern Maryland is selling heirloom tomatoes for $4 a pound. My kitchen window has pretty much looked like this - rotating tomatoes through to finish ripening before being turned into some product (BBQ sauce, canned tomatoes or spaghetti sauce) - for over a week now. And we've eaten plenty raw in salads, and have given some away. I'd say the $25 investment for the 6 transplants was WELL worth the money. And boy are they tasty. Thank you Tasteful Garden!!!!



A batch of fresh, ripe yellow tomatoes ready to be processed....

Here they are in the pot, smothered in spices, ready to go. Full disclosure - I was actually following a recipe I got online for ketchup, but it was so spicy and tangy, it definitely tasted more like BBQ sauce, and that's what we've been using it for. One night I also poured it over meatloaf at the last minute and put it in the toaster oven. That was delicious.


This is my second batch, done yesterday, with almost exclusively dark tomatoes. It was great. I didn't process the cans, just filled them up hot and let them cool, and they sealed. But I'm keeping them in the fridge. I'm sure we'll use it up in the next few months.








No comments:

Post a Comment