Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thinning....

Here's the topsy turvy tomato!

I did some thinning of both red and gold beets today. The red ones are getting pretty big. They kind of tended to clump together and grow on top of each other, sometimes 2 or 3 in one spot. The seeds must have run in the rain. So I diligently thinned them, which I hate to do, but I forced myself. It was interesting, pulling up the greens, and seeing just the tiny little red and gold tendrils...and yet even that small they all had the very distinct and recognizable smell of beets, the red ones smelling different from the gold. If I mess around the base of the turnip greens with my thumb I can see the tiny telltale purple tops and white bottoms just starting to fill out. It looks like the transplanted, non-hardened off zucchini and cucumbers in the garden are going to make it. And the couple I did half-heartedly harden off and put in big pots look great too.



I have tomatoes on my yellow taxi!







No comments:

Post a Comment