Monday, May 4, 2009

The eggplant also rises!

Looks like I've got three or four the the Hansel Eggplant showing thier beautiful little heads! (Only 2 pictured)
Also making its grand entrance this weekend are potato sprouts up out of the dirt in the garden. I've got twelve mounds planted with potatoes, and only seeing them up through the dirt on one so far. They've been in for a little over two weeks now. I must confess the only reason I know what I'm looking at is because this past weekend in the name of science I DID finally dig one of those mounds up - gently, with my hands - just to see what the heck was going on down there with the potatoes. I was surprised to see long whiteish sprouts growing out of them, that just hadn't yet made it up through the dirt. I didn't disturb anything, I just covered them carefully back up. Then a few days later, a few mounds over, I found this (look carefully in the center of the picture at the two white things that look like bean sprouts), and I'm reminded once again that patience is a virtue. But I figure so is curiosity, because if I hadn't dug up one of these mounds I wouldn't have known what I was looking at. :0)

Speaking of patience, the zucchinis are doing quite well. They no longer look wilted, one of them is fully upright, and the others are turned up towards the grow light, but kind of laying like vines. All are beautiful, perky and healthy.

Here's a few recents shots of the Daikon radishes and the red beets growing. The beets definitely seem to grow slower than the radishes.



I did poke a few seeds in pots on the deck this weekend. More on the container garden later. I'm turning my attention in the ground garden this week to tomato (and possibly pepper) cages, mulching, and locating an organic, slow-release plant food.











1 comment: