Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hay Part Two and Some Beautiful Moments

My eggplant has put out a beautiful purple bloom. I first discovered how beautiful a blooming eggplant is last year. I just love it.



Well, after getting half the garden covered with hay (that bale doggone near did half the garden) I thought wow, this is great. I had already worked up a sweat working that hoe on all my weeds before putting the hay down – I thought, maybe I won’t have to do that anymore.

And they hay covered half looked like – well – a working garden. I’m starting to think that all of a sudden, I’m going to have a lot of food on my hands! The marigold that I thought died didn’t – it’s just taking a break. I was going to replant that mound; now what the heck am I going to do with 6 little crookneck squash plants? I’m thinking I need more potting soil, and I need to haul more pots up onto the deck.

I fed the heirloom tomatoes, which are getting HUGE, and I fed the topsy turvey, which already has a nice tomato on it.

The melons look great. I have thinned them some. Last year I had 5 plants and as much as I could eat for a few months there, so I’m going to have cantaloupes to spare, I think. The cucumbers are thriving, as are the zucchini. I’m very glad that my ignorance and carelessness didn’t kill them off.




My radish greens are gigantic, and I expect they’re busy forming nice big roots. My red beets are doing great, and so are the yellow (pictured).


One of my nasturtium is finally blooming!!!!!



I felt so good after checking all this out, that I went back and got a second bale of hay! This time I lined the trunk with trash bags. I also ordered myself a special treat – The Backyard Homestead, a Mother Earth News Book. Because I think that in the not so distant future I’m going to have to get on with my summer project of learning to preserve food. I’m really trying to get my husband to agree to a couple of chickens……

No comments:

Post a Comment