Monday, June 8, 2009

Quick update...

I had second thoughts about the landscape fabric in the potato cages - I went back out there this past weekend and pulled it all out. I got another bale of hay and put hay around the inside edges and on top instead. The dirt seems to be holding up so I think they'll be okay.

Curiousity got the better of me with the potatos, and I went feeling around inside one of those mounds while I was out there. Sure enough I found a few little potatoes - TINY - like the size of a grape or smaller. Wow. I pulled my hand out and patted the dirt back down again.

I put the six crookneck yellow squash in pots on the deck. Some of them look better than others. My zucchini in the garden are huge; the one in the pot is looking pretty spindly. I don't think it's going to make it.

Basil is coming up nicely.

The one pot I planted with my last few snap pea seeds is just burgeoning. They are climbing right up the cage I made for it. Can't wait to post a picture of that. I think I need to top off the potting soil in all the pots on the deck.

I have a huge mandarin pepper, a huge anaheim, a huge carmen, and about 4 serrano peppers that all look like the right size, I think I'm just waiting for them all to turn color (orange or red) to harvest. (Cindy, is that right?) My mini red bell pepper has peppers all over it. The biggest one is showing signs of turning red.

I have a little eggplant forming about the size of the tip of my finger.

Can wait till the camera battery arrives!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the peppers may take a while to ripen but as soon as they show even the slightest bit of coloring, pick them and then let them ripen on your kitchen counter. This will happen really quickly, you will be surprised! You want to get them before any other critters do so pick them early, tomatoes too!

    Most people think that they need to stay in the garden until they are fully ripened but that is not true. They have developed the sugars they need and are just as sweet when they finish ripening on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy, for this and the response about the zucchini. I will get back out there later today and put dirt over it. I had two big beautiful ones last summer that I got TONS of zucchini from for about 6 weeks, then something like this split happened, and in very short order I lost both plants. I'll check out the link.

    ReplyDelete