Thursday, April 16, 2009

Transplants arrived today!

I was excited to see a big box from The Tasteful Garden on my front porch this evening. I have ordered 6 varieties of heirloom tomatoes and 6 varieties of peppers. I wish now that I had selected a later ship date, as I realize that I'm probably going to have to keep them in my kitchen for the next few weeks and rotate them outside for a few hours every day since it's too early to plant them.

The plants are all a lot bigger than I thought they would be. The peppers look great, and some even already have buds and blooms on them. The tomatoes are quite big, but are bowed and a little wilted from travel. I gave them each a little water and I suspect they will look perkier in the morning.

I have been working over the past few weeks getting the garden set up in the 3'X3' sections and mounding up the dirt in the middle of each section as I described in my last post. It's been slow going, both because I can only do so much at a time, and because we've had so much rain! I started off as organized as the picture below, but started kind of "eyeballing" it after that. I'm about 2/3 of the way done.

It's supposed to be sunny and 70 tomorrow and Saturday so I hope to get the rest of the squares done so that I can get a few things in the ground this weekend - radishes, beets and the banana fingerling potatoes that I ordered from Johnny's Seeds.

I also hope to figure out some way to turn my hand-drawn garden plan into an image that I can upload this weekend.










































No comments:

Post a Comment