Monday, April 27, 2009

Leggy sprouts

I ended up with just bush baby zucchini and cucumbers, and wow, these things have gotten so leggy so fast it is unbelievable. I think that if I sat in front of them and watched for an hour I could see them growing. You can see in this picture how they're straining towards the sun. It's my understanding they look like this because they're not getting enough light. I don't have an indoor place where they will get enough natural light. I set them outside yesterday during the day in the sun and that seems to have killed off two of the cucumber sprouts. The other thing I can try is to set them under the grow lights in the currently unused aerogarden. Other than that I may have to take my lessons learned and get some transplants next month. Sigh.

The good thing though is I think I can give this a better shot next year - or for fall??? It's sort of like my in-ground garden was last year - an afterthought that was started too late, without any prior research or planning. But who knows? I met yet end up with my own zucchni.

The tomato and pepper transplants are sitting out in the garden, not in the ground, just inside the fencing out there. They still look great. I think I'm looking at about 2 more weeks before I can put them in the ground. It looks like my radish seeds came up in abundance (picture is forthcoming). I'll have to check out the back of the seed packet to see at what point I need to thin those. Although I didn't thin anything last year and those doggone Daikon got HUGE, growing right next to each other, so big that they were pushing themselves up out of the ground, some of them with about a 2" daimeter at the top. The problem with the Daikon is that I'm not sure what to do with it. I put it on salads, but I haven't discovered a good way to use it in recipes and I end up with more than I can eat. I need to put some effort into that.

Over the coming week I'll take stock of what's going on out there and in spots where seeds didn't come up I'll try again, either sow seeds again or decide on something else to put there. I think I'll mix in some of the good organic potting soil into the mounds before planting anything else out there. It's the closest thing I have to finished compost. Can you buy finished compost? Something else on my ever-growing list of things to figure out. I may get some more red beet seeds and give them another shot out there because I know from the fall that they will grow in my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment