Saturday, September 5, 2009

Still Growing....

Here's a nice shot that shows that all the transplants are still alive and well and getting bigger. I'm still having seedlings popping up, but they're not filling in that long bed to the right nicely like I had hoped. We had SO MUCH hard rain after I planted them, that they kind of ran off all over the place, and I think a lot of them didn't germinate because of the heat.


These are rutabega I think. There are two big ones (below) and then some other coming behind them, probably from the second sowing.

This picture is pretty hard to make out, but because of all the rain I was talking about I seem to have a few big kohlrabi plants coming up in my chard bed. The rain must have washed thier seeds there.


Yesterday I picked up a bale of straw and did a thick mulch on the broccoli and brussels sprouts bed. I'll get another bale today (I can only fit one bale in my car at a time) and mulch the chard, collard, lettuce and cabbage. Possibly I'll have enough to also mulch the kale. But my daughter wants to "build a straw house" a la The Three Little Pigs, so I have ended up with mulch on the one bed in the garden that I never did plant, and I expect there'll be more mulch there later today. That's okay. Maybe it'll keep it from filling back up with grass. I had intended to plant that too, but things are less stressful for everyone if she has somewhere specific in the garden that she can play, so I think I'll just leave that one empty this go-around. Pictures of the mulched garden to come. My intention is to continue throwing in more mulch during the next few months so that I don't get those weeds!






2 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! Neat looking new crop coming on. Have you tried a thick layer of newspaper under the straw to help control weeds? I always did that in my Ohio gardens and it worked great. Plus the newspaper decomposes over the year and becomes mulch when you till it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...newspaper. I may try that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete