Sunday, September 13, 2009

Industrious, and Overcoming Ignorance

Well, I am pleased and proud to announce that I do, in fact, have SPINACH!



I have 8 beautiful little plants which, now that I see them, I can clearly recognize as being spinach, as opposed to all of those ubiquitous little weeds that I was hoping were spinach. So I pulled all of those weeds out yesterday. One thing that I have learned over the past few months is how to recognize my most frequently appearing weeds. It's an interesting and useful bit of knowledge that quite frankly I didn't see coming.

On the subject of recognizing things, I think this is the kohlrabi. I do have a map of what I planted where, but things have gotten so mixed up from floating around in the rain that I am kind of confused still about the rutabaga and kohlrabi, and will probably remain so until they start to form thier bulbuous roots and the difference becomes obvious to me.



This is cabbage. Lovely. Although one of the plants looks like something is seriously eating it. I haven't been able to catch anyone at it though.


And here's a big beautiful collard plant. I took a few leaves off of one of these this morning and had them with jalepeno and onion in an omelette. It was delicious! I have also been harvesting lettuce.

Here's one of the easter egg radishes...it looks like someone's already had a bite...


And I do have carrots popping up in various places. Nowhere near as many as I planted.


But things continue to pop up. With almost two weeks of lovely moderate weather and intermittant rain, a lot of the seeds I put out seem to be germinating now. Interesting. Every time I walk out there there's more going on. Still no more sign of the Harlequin bugs. And no indication that anyone is eating the broccoli any more. That's it? 4 little bugs were doing all that damage? Must have been some hungry bugs.





1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna be planting over the next several weeks too. I think our heat is still a bit much. Thanks for the garden tour, though.

    ReplyDelete