Saturday, February 27, 2010

Seedlings

I am so happy that it's almost March!!! It's getting about time to get outside and get the garden ready. I ordered my seed potatoes today, three varieties - Red Caribe, Russian Banana Fingerlings, and Yukon Gold. The Red are supposed to be really early potatoes, I expect to be eating the fingerlings through the summer, and the Yukon Gold, which are supposed to be good storage potatoes, will hopefully take us through the winter. Last year the fingerling potatoes were SO GOOD, I've hated buying potatoes this winter, and have often been disappointed.

Indoors, I have a sweet potato vine growing inside, sprouted from one of our Beauregard's this winter. It looks fantastic. I think I will leave it in this pot all Spring and see if I can't harvest some potatoes out of it. If I can, then I will see about keeping some sweet potatoes going inside all the time.



I have my first true leaves on my broccoli sprouts now. They're doing pretty well. I've been misting them every day. Some of them are looking slightly yellow to me, but I mixed up a little fish emulsion and sprayed them with that today. Hopefully they'll perk back up.

Here's my little seedling set up. I have 13 broccoli plants, one lone cauliflower seedling, one lone brussels sprout seedling, about half a dozen red acre cabbage seedlings and probably 8 or so early jersey wakefield cabbage seedlings.


It's getting about time to start some tomatoes and peppers, eggplants, cucs and squash, but I'm concerned about having the space for them under the grow light. I'm going to think about that...

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh Shannon. How fun! You look like you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete