Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A walk through the garden

Things are going along pretty well. My squash plants all survived the transplant and are getting big.

The dill seeds I planted are coming up.

The peas are starting to plump up. Soon I'll have to start picking them.


My onions are blooming, which is bad, but quite beautiful, nonetheless.


I learned that garlic actually grows up kind of at a right angle. I think some of the really heavy winds we've had made this come up out of the ground. I'm not sure it's quite ready for harvest though...


Winter squash is also getting big. That little squash to the left is an acorn squash seed coming up, from one I had for dinner a year or two ago. I wasn't sure if it was still viable, but apparently it is!


I have little cucumbers!


And the calendula seeds I planted have come up beautiful plants and are finally about ready to bloom.


I did end up getting some broccoli, but overall the spring broccoli has been disappointing. One of them bolted before it ever had a head, we had so much high heat in April. I'll do broccoli again in the fall, when it does much better.

Beans are coming up everywhere. Bush beans and pole beans.


The potatoes are also all huge, and already have buds on them. I don't remember being this far along this early last year with potatoes, but maybe I was. I have 11 sweet potato slips in so far, and a few potatoes inside in the window still sending up slips like crazy, so I'll probably keep planting them for another 3 or 4 weeks.








No comments:

Post a Comment